Ever wondered how to pick the right necklace for the neckline of your shirt, blouse or dress? Today we bring you a few basic tips to teach you how to do it while avoiding a fashion faux pas.
How to pick the right necklace for a straight neckline
When picking a necklace for a blouse, shirt or dress with a straight neckline, the best thing to do is to opt for pendants with a round shape, layered necklaces, or a long pendant with pearls or beads. These kinds of necklaces create contrast and volume against the sharpness of a straight neckline, like the ones found in strapless tops, or necklines with a square or boat shape.
How to pick the right necklace for a round neckline
Round and asymmetric necklines have a little more movement than tops with a straight neckline. You can complement them with short and colorful chunky necklaces or short voluminous statement necklaces. Make sure your pendant doesn’t touch the border of your neckline, but sits right on the top of your chest. This way it will attract attention to your cleavage while also remaining elegant and fun.
How to pick the right necklace for a high neckline
When you’re wearing a top with a turtleneck, you can complement it either with a voluminous choker or using a long necklace with chains, pearls or beads. However, if you’re wearing a blouse with a collar, then you should skip long or chunky necklaces and opt for short and delicate metallic pendants, or perhaps a cute choker.
When you’re wearing a top with a collar, avoid using necklaces that touch the border of your neckline, or fall under it. Short necklaces should focus the attention on the part of your skin that’s still visible, such as your cleavage or collarbones.
How to pick the right necklace for a downward neckline
There are different types of downward necklines. Tops with a V-neck are the most common, and they should be complemented using layered delicate necklaces with V-shaped pendants. Sweetheart necklines also look great paired with V-shaped necklaces or curved bibs. The shape of these necklaces complements your cleavage and serves as an accent for the silhouette of this kind of tops.
In this case, necklaces should always be shorter than the necklines, so collar and princess lengths are the best for these tops.
What not to do
To finish up, here are a few tips on what you should avoid when you’re picking your necklace. But remember: fashion rules are meant to be broken every once in a while!
- It’s not recommended to wear necklaces with cowl necklines, halter tops or plunging necklines, since it will look too exaggerated. Opt for statement earrings or a cute hairstyle, instead.
- It’s not recommended to combine necklines and necklaces with different shapes –for example, V-necks with round-shaped necklaces.
- When layering necklaces, begin with short and simple necklaces and add longer and more complex and eye-catching pendants afterwards.
- Don’t forget to consider the type of clothes you’re wearing: if your top has an eye-catching print, then opt for simpler pendants in metallic hues; or if you’re wearing a top with a muted or solid tone, then create contrast with colorful and large necklaces.
- If your top has embroidery, lace or appliqués, then make sure the necklaces you wear won’t get tangled with the material, since this could damage your clothes.
Need more fashion tips? Read on!