Our rushed routines can sometimes keep us from eating the best food or having the best eating habits for our organism. However, there are some easy tips that can improve the food we consume and how we consume it, which is why today we tell you how to keep your digestive system clean and healthy in a few steps.
Check them out!
How to keep your digestive system clean and healthy – What to eat?
Bloating, constipation, obesity, lack of energy and concentration, serious illnesses…these are just some of the secondary effects of an unhealthy diet. What we eat largely defines how we look and how we feel, which is why it’s extremely important to keep an eye on what kinds of food we consume.
Many of us have to depend on packaged and processed foods and meals, since there’s so little time to cook. However, these foods usually have high levels of sodium, which are bad for our hearts and our bodies. We also tend to over-indulge in sugary snacks and fatty meals, which are equally dangerous for our health.
So the question remains: what to eat to keep our digestive system clean and healthy?
The answer is in choosing the right type of foods: fruits, vegetables, legumes and whole-grains are the best foods for a healthy organism. The important thing is to have a high-fiber diet which consists in 25 to 35 grams of fiber per day. Fiber keeps your food moving on your digestive system, thus helping it process your meal, as well as preventing dangerous conditions.
Some of the high-fiber foods you should have in your diet are: artichoke, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, carrots, celery, corn, eggplant, kale, lima beans, potatoes, peas, squash, sweet potatoes, apples, avocado, banana, berries, dates, passion fruit, plums, pears, whole wheat pasta, whole grain bread, brown rice, etc.
What to do to keep your digestive system clean and healthy?
We often focus on what we eat, but how we eat it is equally important. Eating on a rush or having bad health habits can also have a negative effect on how our organs process the food we consume. To keep your digestive system clean and healthy, follow these simple tips:
Drink water regularly: keeping your body hydrated throughout the day is the easiest way of helping your organs work properly.
- Avoid bad social habits: smoking and drinking are unhealthy practices which also have effects on your digestive system by making you prone to diseases such as cancer.
- Exercise: working out helps the muscles of your stomach move and push the food, as well as helping you keep your weight controlled.
- Avoid stress: anxiety can affect the nerves of your digestive system, as well as making you eat in a rushed manner. Try to relax to keep your inner organs healthy.
- Try other ways of cooking: instead of fried foods, create healthy meals by steaming, stewing, boiling or grilling your food.
- Eat slowly and on schedule: avoid eating hurriedly or skipping meals. Create a schedule which defines the hours of your breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks; eat calmly, and avoid overeating so you don’t strain your stomach.
You might also like:
- 3 healthy breakfasts you can make in under 10 minutes
- 10 foods that give you energy
- Health effects of tobacco