Animals, symbols, magical charms…talismans and amulets have been worn by many during centuries as a way of protecting themselves or their loved ones from harm, infusing them with positive energy and good luck. And although many believe in the magical powers of these objects, others have turned to these pieces for their exoticness, which creates a powerful fashion statement for those brave enough to try them.
We’ve seen plenty of these figures on the latest runways and red carpets, and to help you catch up, we’ve decided to gather a few tips so you can add this trend to your closet. Here’s our guide on how to wear trendy amulets!
Trendy Amulets: Jewelry Trend
Have you ever worn a necklace with a cross-shaped pendant, or a David star? What about a bracelet with an oriental charm? Many of the shapes we wear daily carry meanings which can differ from one culture to the other. Some have religious roots, while others derive from tradition or myths.
Still, in our highly globalized world, symbols can gain new meanings and overcome the barriers of language and creed, something fashion designers have understood, daring to incorporate elements of different cultures into their collections and making them more accessible for people from all over the world.
Accessories designers are not the exception, and one of the latest jewelry trends which has become very popular amongst celebrities and creators, are trendy amulets. From Madonna to Heidi Klum, many of the most influential artists have embraced the use of talismans as statement pieces in fashion, and the latest catwalks have shown this jewelry trend is not about to die anytime soon.
Here are some of the most popular trendy amulets which you’ll see everywhere:
- The Hamsa Hand: perhaps the most popular of all the talismans, this trendy amulet comes from Middle East cultures, and shows a small symmetrical hand which is believed to bring prosperity and protection to its wearer.
- The Evil Eye: one of the most well-known amulet of the world, the evil eye is a charm that protects the person against ill-intentioned emotions and influences which can be transmitted by the power of sight.
- Animals: from small bugs to large cats, animals can be used to represent a wide number of human attributes. During the latest catwalks we saw a lot of animal-shaped charms in necklaces, rings, purses, and all types of accessories.
- The Cross: although there are many different crosses around the world, the most recognizable is the Latin cross, popularized by Christians as a sign of Christ’s crucifixion. However, for some cultures it can also represent the four elements or the cardinal points. Since last Fall/Winter, it has gained popularity as a trendy talisman once again.
Trendy Amulets: How to wear them
Thinking about trying this jewelry trend? If you’re a mystical gal, or if you love the bohemian look of these accessories, then now is the time to try them on! Here are some tips on how to wear these trendy amulets:
- Stack them: trendy amulets are perfect for creating layers. Look for adjustable bracelets with a delicate charm, and combine them with other colorful pieces for a laidback look.
- Think about your skin tone: most trendy amulets will come in golden or silver. If you want your talismans to look great on you, then remember to check your skin tone so you can pick the perfect complement for you.
- Consider their properties: if you believe in the magical powers of these charms, then keep an eye for their materials and designs. If your trendy amulet contains gemstones or different colors, then they might have a more specific meaning or attribute.
- Consider your outfit: going to a formal event? Don’t lay your trendy amulets aside! Opt for metallic accessories, and leave your colorful jewelry for more casual affairs.
You might also like:
- 2014 Jewelry Trends: Hamsa Hand Talismans
- Fall 2014 Trends: Jewelry and Accessories
- Birthday gift ideas for December 2014